Episode: BS168 Cecilia Heyes author of “Cognitive Gadgets: The Cultural Evolution of Thinking”
Pub date: 2020-02-28
BS 168 is an interview with psychologist Cecilia Heyes from Oxford University in the UK. We talk about her fascinating book “Cognitive Gadgets: The Cultural Evolution of Thinking.” Our focus is on exploring the evidence that several cognitive skills that appear to be unique to humans are learned from other people rather than being inherited genetically as is often assumed. The proposal that language is a cognitive gadget NOT a cognitive instinct is controversial and has very important implications.
Links and References:
- Cognitive Gadgets: The Cultural Evolution of Thinking by Cecilia Heyes
- Oostenbroek J, Slaughter, V, et. Al. (2016). Comprehensive longitudinal study challenges the existence of neonatal imitation in humans. Current Biology 26(10), 1334-1338.
- See show notes at http://brainsciencepodcast.com for additional links and references.
Please Visit Our Sponsors:
TextExpander at http://textexpander.com/podcast Announcements:
- Brain Science comes out on the 2nd and 4th Friday each month.
- The expanded 2nd. Ed. of Are You Sure? The Unconscious Origins of Certainty will be coming out April 28, 2020.
- Learn how you can support Brain Science at http://brainsciencepodcast.com/donations
- Sign up for the free Brain Science Newsletter to get show notes automatically every month.
- Check out the free Brain Science Mobile app for iOS, Android, and Windows. (It’s a great way to get both new episodes and premium content.)
- Send email to firstname.lastname@example.org or post voice feedback at http://speakpipe.com/docartemis.
Connect on Social Media:
- Twitter: @docartemis
- Join the Brain Science Group on Goodreads at: http/brainscienceforum.com
- Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/brainsciencepodcast
Contact Dr. Campbell:
- Email: email@example.com
- Voicemail: http://speakpipe.com/docartemis
The podcast and artwork embedded on this page are from Ginger Campbell, MD, which is the property of its owner and not affiliated with or endorsed by Listen Notes, Inc.